Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mirror Synchronicity: Willing Hands Make Happy Hearts

It was Friday night an I was getting ready to sit down and watch television with my husband. While I was waiting for him, I found Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original 1971 version) on cable. Here is a clip from my favorite movie:

When my husband joined me in the living room, he did not want to watch Willy Wonka, so we decided to watch 30 Rock on DVR. The title of the episode was A Goon's Deed in a Weary World. The description of the episode is pretty basic:

As Liz and Criss' new children arrive, Jack seeks a new head of NBC and TGS teeters on the edge.

So imagine my surprise when, during the episode there were multiple references to Willy Wonka! At first I thought it would be just the one reference or similarity, but they weaved the Willy Wonka theme throughout the show.

The sign "Willing Hands Make Happy Hearts" can be seen in the movie scene above
Kenneth portraying a fake bad guy as a test for the potential employee "Charlie"
During 30 Rock there was a promo for the television show Faceoff advertising a Willy-Wonka special effects contest. I was nearly delirious about the triple synchronicity. Then, as I was writing this, I discovered that the SciFy channel is owned by NBC and that the tie-in was probably quite deliberate.  Oh well.




2 comments:

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

I did a post about this movie about 2 weeks ago,too.
And you can get a great free Kindle book on Amazon,which is a great read -

http://brizdazz.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/do-you-want-free-kindle-book-and-want.html

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

As to the above comment.
It appears Amazon are charging for it again now since this post -

http://boingboing.net/2013/01/09/memoir-of-the-making-of-willy.html

I'm lucky I got it when I did.