Monday, July 14, 2008

My fortune cookie

Yesterday my fortune cookie message was a keeper.

"You have the ability to touch the lives of many people."

Ok, so I know I don't have a huge readership on this blog, and that's ok. I' m not really doing it for fame and fortune. I know that my words will mean something to someone at some time. It's not about the masses. It's about the one. You, maybe.

So I haven't really talked about my volunteer work yet, but now is as good of a time as any. I am a hospice volunteer. My 'job' is to visit patients who are dying. When I tell people what I do, they recoil. It's a complete conversation stopper. and then they mumble something like, "good for you" and back away slowly. See, all the more reason. People fear death, and as a result, they don't want to be around someone who is dying. Why not? There is so much to learn.

At the end of their lives, the patients aren't thinking about the jobs that they had. They're not thinking about the tv shows that they watched or the happy hours they went to. They don't think about whether their house was clean. They think about their loved ones. They hope that they lived a good life and will go to heaven. Some of them re-hash the coulda shoulda woulda relationships with family and sometimes others just wish for one more day of driving around town with the windows down and the sun beaming.

LIVE your life and make the most of every day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way. If I can help just one person...

It can become a domino effect. Or the Butterfly Effect. If we could each just touch one life, just imagine how much better the world would be.

This blog post is a wonderful message. Thank you for sharing it.