Thursday, June 24, 2010

Directional Synchronicity: Dragonfly



Ok first of all, I have to say, I hate bugs. Almost to the point where I possibly have a phobia. So to see a HUGE dragonfly on my porch step brought a range of emotions in a very short time period. I was repulsed at first because it was HUGE and it's a BUG, but then, it didn't move when I approached it and I thought it was kind of peaceful. Hmmm... maybe it's good luck? Or maybe it's just a bug that landed on my porch. I thought about it for a bit and then went about my day.

I went out for another errand and when I came back, either the same dragonfly or a different one was on my porch again in a slightly different spot. OK, this cannot be a coincidence, I thought. You might say it was a coincidence, but considering that I am now over 40 and cannot recall ever seeing a dragonfly close-up before and suddenly twice in one day? On my porch where I can't miss it? Enough to blog for sure. So what does it mean? Well a quick Google search indicates that different cultures ascribe different meanings to the symbol of the dragonfly. The comment that I found on dragonfly-site.com to resonate the most for me was this:

"And as a dragonfly lives a short life, it knows it must live its life to the fullest with the short time it has – which is a lesson for all of us. "

This is especially meaningful for me because of my work in hospice. It was a good reminder for me right now.

So once I discovered that dragonflies are positive symbols, I liked them a little more. Then I found out that they eat mosquitoes!!! Woo hoo!! Bring on the dragonflies!!


1 comment:

Magic of Spice said...

Great post:)