Thursday, August 18, 2011

On TV: A Gifted Man

Occasionally, I will veer off from my synchronicity posts if something else catches my eye. Lately I have been seeing previews for a Fall CBS Show, A Gifted Man. I could not help but notice the previews when they used the phrase, "Follow the Signs." Of course, since my blog has the same name, it certainly caught my attention! The initial preview clip looks promising. I do love the idea that it is a skeptic who gets these abilities to communicate with the other side, although there is the expected stereotypical exploration of mental disorders, etc. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. I needed something to fill the gap that Medium and Ghost Whisperer left behind. I will be watching! If you check out the clip, let me know what you think.

Here is the description of the show from the CBS website:
A GIFTED MAN is a drama about a brilliant, charismatic surgeon whose life changes forever when his deceased ex-wife begins teaching him the meaning of life from the "hereafter." Michael Holt (Patrick Wilson) is an exceptional doctor who lives a materialistic life of luxury thanks to his work-obsessed career and powerful and wealthy patients; however, Michael's ordered world is rocked when his ex-wife, Anna (Jennifer Ehle), an idealistic free-clinic doctor and the love of his life, mysteriously appears to him. Michael's off-beat sister, Christina (Julie Benz), a single mom to her teenaged son, Milo (Liam Aiken), is thrilled that Anna's back in her brother's life, even as an "illusion," because Michael was always a better person with her. Curious about Michael's sudden change in behavior is his efficient assistant, Rita (Margo Martindale). When Anna asks Michael to go to her clinic to help keep it running, he meets Autumn (Afton Williamson), a volunteer carrying on Anna's work with the underprivileged. Touched by those in need and accepting of Anna's compassionate "presence," Michael's attitude toward serving the rich and poor is turned upside down, and he begins to see that there's room in his life for everyone. Academy Award nominee Susannah Grant ("Erin Brockovich"), Academy Award winner Jonathan Demme ("The Silence of the Lambs"), Sarah Timberman, Carl Beverly and Neal Baer ("ER") are executive producers for CBS Television Studios.

3 comments:

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

Sounds like they ripped the idea off the Kevin Costner movie "Dragonfly" to me.If you haven't seen this movie I highly recommended a viewing.Even if it is only to compere it to this TV show.

A New Soul said...

It's been a while since I saw Dragonfly but I thought in that movie he just saw signs. In this show the main character actually sees the spirit.

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

He sees signs at first,but he does see spirit later on in the film.But I won't give it away for people who may be reading this post and haven't seen the movie.
Watch it again,it is a great movie...and watch the extra features on the DVD if you can,there is some good stuff there,too.
Looking back,I can see Costner was on a very spiritual path movie wise.
Right from "The Big Chill"
(he played the dead guy...most of his scenes were cut out of the movie)onwards.
It's worth going through his catalogue of films and viewing them.He made some great spiritual choices,whether he knew it or not.