Sunday, September 25, 2011

On TV: A Gifted Man - Review

So, as you may remember from a previous post, I was looking forward to the pilot episode of A Gifted Man, a show about a surgeon who sees the spirit of his ex-wife. I have not read any other reviews about the show because I wanted to share my impressions first without the bias of others ideas.

I thought it was just okay. Alright, I admit I was a little disappointed. But to be fair, I will start with what I liked:
  • I like the overall premise of the show (that a character sees spirits) because I was very disappointed to see the end of Medium and Ghost Whisperer.
  • Margo Martindale is one of my favorite character actresses
  • Jennifer Ehle looks like a young Meryl Streep and has the appropriate presence of an angel
Here is what I did not like:
  • The Shaman character makes a comparison of the ghost to a "tumor."
  • The main character's 'bad' attitude is over-acted and over the top. He is suddenly a kind and gentle person around his ex which is so much of a contrast so as to be unrealistic.
  • The general plot seems contrived.
  • The previous television shows about spirits have different spirits in every episode. I can't see where this show is going.
  • There is too much of his medical practice closeups on inner organs.
So the grand conclusion for me is that I will watch another episode with hopes that they figure it out, but I do not see this show lasting very long. I welcome commentary from anyone who has seen the show to add what they liked/did not like.

No comments: